Jun 18, 2012

New Content Theme - Three for Three

In finishing up the Darkearth Plains, there are a couple of things left to do.  These fall into two categories, write ups on cities, and write ups on regional monster populations.

Consider the already mentioned regional monster populations.  There are the Horned Ones, the Marsh Trolls, the Furlingga Gnolls, the Shagmen, the Great Herd, the Destriel Dwarves, and others.  All of these deserve, at least, some stats and encounter charts. Perhaps later, however.

There are also the cities of the Darkearth Plains, which would certainly be a focal point of any Westroner character from the region, and which feature as the home for several important features (schools of magic; major structures of the Church; military order facilities, etc).

In Darkearth, proper, there are the cities of Khomaes, Werms and Huygen.  This next round of content will focus on sandbox level maps of those cities, and their immediate surrounding areas, as well as Three other postings for each city.  So that will make a total of 12 postings.  I will try to do this within the next two weeks, or before the end of June.
Khomaes, city of mists
 In order to keep things interesting for me, and for any potential readers, I will try to mix up the extra postings.  It could be sideline adventures, religious orders, schools of magic, spell write ups, encounter stats, legendary items, additional maps, etc.

Should be interesting.  At the end, I think I will end up with three cities, each with a very different feel, some level of mapping to suggest ideas for play, and additional crunchy information (with stats, more maps, encounters - whatever) to make these cities interesting for a campaign or convention game.
Werms, Northern city of clouds

Along the way, I might cheat and do some of the other interesting filler to back up my previous "Adventure Locations" content postings, but I will label each type (and cross index, and label, as usual).
Huygen, city of lights

To get started, I read the following series of Articles on designing Fantasy Cities.  I have been designing Fantasy cities for RPGs ever since I did the sprawling ruined city of Kadesh Barnea, back in 1982, in 11th grade (that one was inspired by, and drew heavily from, the old Dragon Magazine article - "Ruins: Rotted and Risky but Worth It" or something, I am quoting the title from memory...), but this article at Stuffer Shack is quite interesting. 

http://stuffershack.com/designing-fantasy-cities-purpose/


Note: I have not gotten any further on the Wiki idea.  I think it is a good idea, but I am having too much fun right now just cranking out content.  I will organize further, later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment