Jun 10, 2012

World Building? Campaign Reporting? RPG Commentary?

Okay, just a quick editorial posting, in the middle of the Week of Adventure Locations.

I realized last night, while writing the entry on the Hearth Home of the White Wolf (my latest posting in the series of the River Jarl steadings, and also containing one of the Week of Adventure Location installments), this blog is quickly becoming a gazetteer of information about my setting.  There is, however, a better way to post such information, to have it organized for my use as a game master, and for the use of the curious reader, and the player alike.  That format will be a Wiki, so I am going to start the Valley Wiki.

Sure, much of what I post may be useful to other people (either as idea starters, or as drop in material for another campaign), but that content will now appear in both places - here, when it is something that might be useful, and also in the Wiki, organized and cross indexed with the rest of the world.

Coming to this conclusion, I realized I had two different reasons for doing it - the external reason, and the internal reason.

As should be obvious, I love writing content.  Story, locations, maps, monsters, keys to sandbox areas, NPCs, legendary items, character class rules - all of it that goes along with a campaign.  But it can be a bit boring to plow through, if you are only looking for useful gems.  That's the external reason for Valley Wiki.

I get to do all the content writing I want, and eventually have something like a Encyclopedia Harnica for my own setting, along the way I get to post the interesting tidbits to this blog, along with other RPG stuff (I am still trying to keep all my RPG gaming news, etc, over here, and to keep all my other gaming related writing over at Gaming with Chuck).  That is the internal reason for Valley Wiki.

Watch http://valleywiki.gamewiki.me/ for more info.


No comments:

Post a Comment